When we go for any job interview or an internship, then the interviewer asks to bring your resume or CV with you. But most of the fresher’s job seeker or aspirants don’t know about what the difference between CV vs resume. They use the resume and Curriculum Vitae interchangeably but there are a lot of differences between them.
You must have to know about when to use a resume and when to use Curriculum Vitae. Maybe you will be asked in your interview by the interviewer that what is the difference between resume vs CV.
So, we will discuss
- What is a resume?
- What is a CV(Curriculum Vitae)?
- What are the differences between resume vs CV?
- What to write in a Resume?
- What to write in a Curriculum Vitae?
What is a Resume?
A resume is a french word and the meaning of it is summary. A resume is typically shorter than a Curriculum Vitae in which job applicants write the summary of their education, work history, credentials, skills, languages, contacts. It can be created for a particular job in the US and it should be one or two pages in length.
So, when you apply for a job in the USA and Canada, you must have to update your resume before leaving your last job. This is important because your last company and work experience must be added on your latest resume.
A resume has 3 formats:
What is a CV?
A CV stands for Curriculum Vitae which is a Latin word. The word of Curriculum Vitae means is a course of life which can be longer than the resume in length. Curriculum Vitae can be more than 2 to 3 pages document which contains in-depth your whole achievements, educations, awards, and research background.
A CV has 3 types of formats:
- Chronological CV.
- Functional or Skills-Based CV.
- Combination CV
A Curriculum Vitae can be different types like
|Admin CV||Customer service CV||Education CV|
|Finance CV||Graduate/Junior CV||IT CV|
|Manager CV||Marketing CV||Project manager CV|
|Sales CV||School leaver CV||Waiter CV|
The Key Difference Between Resume and Curriculum Vitae (Resume Vs CV)
|Key Points||Resume||Curriculum Vitae(CV)|
|1. Length of Pages||A resume must be the shorter i.e one or two pages.||A CV can be more than three to four pages in length.|
|2. Purpose||It is a summary of your education, work history, credentials, skills, languages, contacts||It is a course of life which contains your whole achievements, educations awards, research background, etc.|
|3. Formats||Chronological, Functional, and Combination.||Chronological CV, Functional or Skills-Based CV, and Combination CV.|
|4. Focus||Resume focus on your profession skills.||Curriculum Vitae focus on your whole career.|
|5. Where to use||A resume is used when you apply for a job in any industry, non-profit and government jobs.||A Curriculum Vitae is used when you apply in large organizations like Researching, Publications, Grants and fellowships.|
|6. Updattable||You must have to update your resume when you change your job.||Not required to update your CV when you change your job. But you must have to keep your CV updated.|
|7. Data||Resume mostly include bulleted or numbered list to make it more organized and concise.||CVs include broad data on your scholastic foundation.|
|8. Contact||In resume, you can give several types of contact details.||In CV’s, mainly, email and phone number is enough|
What to Write In a Resume?
- Summary Statement: In a summary statement(Profile Summary), It should be covered your name, previous job experience in the related company, skills & knowledge, what you can do in the company, etc in three to four lines.
- Contact Information: In contact, you can write several types of contacts like mobile number, landline number, email id, website, and address.
- Education, Certifications & Interests: You can write the whole education that you have completed, your certification that you have achieved, and your interests that you are happy to do.
- Work Experience or Employment Details: If you have work experience in any company or industry, then must include how many years you have worked with that company, what is your role in your position.
- Skills & Technologies: Describe all the skills and technologies you have in this section.
- Languages: Write the languages that you know. It can increase the chances for selection in your job.
Download Resume Template For Free
A lot of people are still confused about how to design their resume and how to write their own content. So to make a successful and attractive resume, we need some resume samples. So I am going to tell the name of a website from where you can create resumes in the same way by downloading the resumes of different profiles.
The website name is https://resume.naukri.com/resume-samples.
From the above page, you can download different industry profiles resume template such as IT, Banking and Finance, HR, Automobile, Marketing Operations, Productions, sale, etc.
What to Write In a Curriculum Vitae?
- Cover Letter: Cover letter can take one page to describe. In a cover letter, you have to write your importance to the company that you’re going for an interview. You have to describe why you’re an important or ideal candidate for this job. You can also explain that how much value you’ll gonna provide to the company.
- Contact Information: You can provide the same number of contact information as mentioned in the resume. But keep the minimal contact information as you can in your CV.
- Education History: This is a very important section and writes in-depth of your whole life education history that you have completed with the respected years.
- Work Experience: Write in detailed which you have worked for any organization or non-organization, profit or a non-profit company.
- Project Undertaken: If you have completed any project under your school/colleges/company, then described in this section.
- Awards, Fellowships, and Grants: If you have given any Awards, Fellowships, and Grants before in your whole life, then you can describe in detail here.
- Publication and Presentation: If you have done any presentation in your career or education, include here in details.
- Languages: Write the languages that you know very well. It is very helpful for your selection in the jobs that you want to join.
- References: References help the recruiters to reach more peoples to hire through you. It is not necessary but if you want then you can give the references as you want.
Download CV Template for Free
If you belong to the USA and any job recruiter asks you for a CV then you can make your own CV these fantastic free templates. I am going to tell you a website where you can download free CV Samples of different USA cities.
The site name is https://www.coolfreecv.com/builder-creator-cv
Here you can download free CV template of different cities like Boston, New York, Chicago, Washington, Seattle. So visit this site and build your CV with the help of these CV templates for free.